May 26, 2013

A Vintage Memorial Day

 

Over the years, I have actually handled a few military uniforms.Most have no names in them, but a few do. And when they do, I like to research them.

I saved these photos, you will see why. We attended a small estate auction on 2008 in Southern Indiana. The listing mentioned clothing, and that there was a WW2 uniform. I didn't expect it to be a woman's. But it was, and it was all there, including ties and blouses. She had saved it all. The name and serial number were stamped inside the jacket, and it was all there: Army patch,collar pins, rank insignia.

Her name was Dorothy Mitchell. She enlisted as a private in the WAC in Los Angeles, CA on July 26,1944. Six weeks after D-Day, that was the day the first German V-rockets hit Great Britain and the Soviet Army liberated  Lviv in the Ukraine from the Nazis. The war was far from over. Dorothy was born in Missouri and a high school graduate, working as a clerk and single. Her enlistment was "for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law". In other words, no break until it was over. 

Dorthy Mitchell  was 38 years old when she enlisted. She wasn't a kid. I'm not sure I could have done that at age 38. So this is my small Memorial Day tribute to a lady I know only through this uniform.     
 
 1944 Women's Army Corps olive drab uniform, Ike jacket style, with original Finance and US collar insignia,  and 5th Army and Tech Corporal sleeves patches. 

No comments: