Oct 5, 2011

Building a Vintage Wardrobe: Autumn Colors


These combinations I just put together this month and plan to wear as soon as the weather is cool enough - perhaps this weekend? The colors are perfect for autumn and winter, so I expect to get good use out of this group.

I love suits, because I love tailoring, but I don’t live a suit lifestyle. And modern suits in a price range I can swing look inexpensive and sadly aging, to tell the truth. It’s a mystery that a modern suit makes me look older than a suit made before I was born, but that’s the way it is.

This is a good quality late 1950s Davidow suit in brown tweed wool with narrow self belt ( not shown)  and straight skirt. I have the navy blue version of this suit on Past Perfect with a full pleated skirt. But the straight skirt suits me better.

I have some choices on this one - wear with the jacket buttoned? The turtleneck shell Tucked in or out? Belted or not? Wear with the cotton 7/8 sleeve T and brown cardigan in/out? And again belted or not.  The main thing is I will go with a modern blouse or knit top and a modern belt. The original narrow belt is too matchy and not in the best condition. The footwear - most likely a pair of brand new brown leather boots. I do love boots.




The components: 1950s brown tweed Davidow Suit from Elizabeth’s Timeless Attire, rust sleeveless turtleneck from sister’s closet clean out, brown leather belt - Zappo’s warehouse, gold cotton T - Macy’s last year, brown cotton cardigan - Calvin Klein from 2 years ago. Jewelry: 1950s glass bead triple strand necklace and 1950s purple toned thermoplastic bracelet, both birthday presents last year and modern gold bead bracelet - Koh'ls freebie. The boots - birthday present this year. Total cost all pieces, excluding birthday presents:  $79.

It doesn’t get any better than that
.

2 comments:

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

I love these posts! Thank you for showing ideas of how to mix vintage with modern!

ConstantlyAlice said...

I agree 100% about todays suits being aging. I love a vintage suit, but modern ones make me feel frumpy and uncomfortable.