Jun 19, 2011

Signs of the Times: The Rte 66 Edition, Part 1


Just back from a great road trip of the American West. No vintage fashions to report on, but Fantastic scenery, both natural and man made. I had not planned on documenting great old signage, but there were too many great designs.I couldn't help myself, especially along old Route 66 through New Mexico. Many of the old businesses are derelict along the roadside. But those in Tucumcari, NM were looking pretty darn good, and mostly open. 
The c. 1959 Motel Safari  is beautifully restored and yes, we stayed there. We ate at Del's - and it was tasty. The Blue Bird Motel was doing open and doing business.And there were more 50s era motels and shops in varying states of wear. Even the closed gas stations are being painted with 50s style murals and signage to dress them up and add to the streetscape.  
And why did they get rid of the No Vacancy/Vacancy signs for motels? They are so handy when you are on the road. I guess they aren't refined enough for the big chains. Another loss.    

The 1959 Motel Safari,  Night and Day. The camel is a slightly later addition - early 60s. I enjoy the details of amenities advertised on the signs. Today, it's all assumed services.   


The Blue Swallow Motel, Day and Night  with "100% Refrigerated Air"

  
Del's Restaurant - what it lacks in neon, it makes up for in Cow. And there was indeed a  gift shop.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I LOVE the Blue Swallow Sign lit up at night! So cool!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Marcy said...

fabulous! Hollis, these old signs are one of my favorite reasons for a road trip!! thanks for sharing!

Mary Jane said...

The Blue Swallow is a fabulous example of neon signage! Thank you for sharing these with us!

denisebrain said...

I love a non-interstate road trip...thank you for the vicarious enjoyment!

Metro Retro Vintage said...

I just love mid-century Americana! It reminds me of our x-country road trip years back. Thank you for the memories. :)

Metro Retro Vintage said...

I just love mid-century Americana! It reminds me of our x-country road trip years back. Thank you for the memories. :)