Jun 23, 2011

Signs of the Times: Movie Theatres


Small town theaters. Or neighborhood theaters, if you will. These have all but disappeared in our area. The multiplexes ate them. We do still have the great and grand Palace Theatre on 4th St - and it is fabulous. But the neighborhoods? Long gone.  AS we travel, my personal measure of the health of a small town or city has long been: is there still an old 1930s - 50s movie theater in the downtown, and is it actually showing moves?  
  
I love the style of these structures. They were sometimes glamorous, sometimes sleek. Always special. I wish I had gotten to see these lit up at night. But we did our driving in daylight on this trip, so it wasn't to be. 

The  El Morro Theatre,c. 1928  Gallup NM and still showing films, bless them

 The Price Theatre, Price, UT, c. 1938 and  showing Pirates of the Caribbean, like most of the US this spring 

 The Crown Theatre, Price UT. Now a Resturaunt, but still standing and still in use. 

 The Avon, Heber City, UT, also in business.

The Teton Theatre,c. 1941 in  Jackson, WY. Ah yes , more Pirates. Western Ranch Deco.

3 comments:

Course of Perfection said...

I adore old theaters.The Coleman Theatre Beautiful is a gorgeous example!

thevintagetraveler said...

I'm really enjoying your trip and all the old signs!

Past Perfect Vintage Clothing said...

Thank you! I wish I had taken more photos. I wasn't really thinking of documenting the signs when we started out. But there were so many great ones I had to start!