May 20, 2011

Hand Knitted Chic the 1933 Version


These are a selection from Hand Knitted Chic, a pattern publication from Bucilla, published in 1933. Let's set the stage. It's the depths of the Depression. The mood is not happy. It's down right grim. Most women are in the Depression Make Do and Mend Mode, the one that came before the WWII version. An awful lot of women can't afford store bought clothing. Or even good fabric like wool and silk by the yard, at that. But if they can knit - a whole new wardrobe awaits.   

This is a silhouette ladies of a certain generation such as my mother and aunts, remember with a certain horror. All they saw was the long length, the soft waist and shoulders and it just looked so matronly to them. Actually, the word they used was Dowdy. I grant you, these are not flashy clothes. They were designed for a more mature figure, long before fashion was driven by teenagers.  They look best on the taller woman who can carry off the long hem length and isn't too curvy. In other words, the boyish flapper gal as she aged into her young married matron years. But accessorized properly and on the right figure, there is a ladylike appeal here. Not that anyone wants to be called 'ladylike' currently.

Talk about a look that has disappeared: spectator shoes, small trim hats and gloves. I actually do own a pair of black and white patent leather spectator shoes from the early 1990s. This post may inspire me to dust them off and assemble an outfit.

 The Swagger Suit
 The Stroller Suit
 Surplice Dress
 3 pc. Ribbed Suit
Surplice Dress

3 comments:

Debi said...

Oh! I love these sooo much!

BaronessVonVintage said...

what a coincidence! I just did an outfit post at my blog centred around 30s knitwear! My FAVOURITE. It seems unbelievable that 30s women found these looks "matronly" and unappealing? I've got a few pieces in my collection that cannot be called anything but "sexy" and curve hugging! (i.e a peach crocheted evening gown with nude liner.) Anyway, thanks for sharing these gorgeous images, which I would love to just stare at forever!

Past Perfect Vintage Clothing said...

Oh I think they loved these looks in the 30s. It was in the 60s that my aunts looked back on these as dowdy. It was the length,I am sure - they'd gotten used to knee length