Feb 19, 2011

A Tribute, albeit a small one



It is time to explain the header photo of the two small girls. It was taken in the 1920s, in Lyndon Ky. They are eldest two of my 6 aunts. The girl on the left is still living, as is their youngest sister. And both doing quite well, thank you. The girl on the right passed away this Christmas on Dec 23. She was 91.


Aunt Martha was a dress maker. Although that hardly begins to cover it. A dress maker extraordinaire. She had her own business for over 50 years and with it she supported herself and raised 3 sons. She loved sewing. She enjoyed fashion. And she appreciated fine fabrics. Her quality of work was well known in the better dress shops in Louisville, too.

When she first retired, she kept a few of her old customers. I don't think she was actually retired until she was about 80. And when we helped her move to an apartment in a retirement home, she still took her sewing machine and used it there.


I wish I had examples of her work. But no. You see, I was never a client. I did save a label in the great clean-up of her workroom. And some thread holders. All the notions went to the university costume shop, and her many Vogue patterns from the 60s and 70s went to Fuzzylizzie.

But I do have a photo of the honeymoon suit she made for my mother in 1953. So I offer these as a tiny tribute to a lovely lady.


August 1953 - I do wonder what color it was. Blue? Perhaps.

4 comments:

Metro Retro Vintage said...

What a wonderful tribute to an extraordinary lady!

Zephyr Vintage said...

Thank you for sharing this about your family. She sounds like an amazing woman!

thevintagetraveler said...

I know this lady through her patterns! From working with them I could tell she was a true professional. I have to really admire her skill; some of those Vogue couturier patterns very very difficult!

Past Perfect Vintage Clothing said...

thank you Lizzie - if she couldn't stitch it, it couldn't be done