Dec 27, 2010

It's All About Wool and Cashmere



I am one those those tragically unlucky souls who is allergic to wool. Even cashmere can be a no go. It's a loss, I must tell you. Wool is warm. It tailors beautifully. It wears like iron. It cleans well. It can be handwashed, and even vintage wool garments will tolerate dry-cleaning far later in their lifespan than any other fiber.

Every winter, I cast longing eyes at vintage wool sweaters and skirts for myself, then move on to the Orlon. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But Orlon doesn't age as gracefully as wool, so it's a bit harder to find still looking fresh and crisp.

So all I can do is admire these finds, then offer them to you:


1950s Hadley Cashmere Cardigan with Fur Collar and Jeweled Clasp


1950s Cream Cashmere Short Sleeved Cardigan, made in Scotland


A Pair of Tailored Evan-Piccone Skirts: L.,Slate blue wool gabardine w/ front zip, R., a cream & blue striped wool with curved welt pockets,both with matching belts, hand stitching and embroidered arrowheads

For size and price details: Past Perfect Vintage

4 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Oh man, me too. I wrote today about felting despite being allergic. But I also can't wear cashmere. I can wear alpaca - but no wool, none.

And I'm assuming no ugg boots either, sigh.

Im glad Im not the only one who has cashmere issues! lol

Tracy

thevintagetraveler said...

Those Evan-Picone skirts are so great. The detailing that went into that company's work is just not found today.

Cherry Blossom said...

I was wondering where you found the 1950s Cream Cashmere Short Sleeved Cardigan, I have been looking for one for ages.

Past Perfect Vintage Clothing said...

Let's see - I think it was from an estate auction. As you can imagine, it sold very quickly!