May 24, 2010

My New ( but Vintage as always) Jacket



If you have tread this blog before, you know I am a big fan of tailoring. Especially good tailoring from the late 1940s and early 1950s. It's a weakness. I realize it could be worse. At least if I purchase items in my size, they are wearable and therefore practical. And uniquely stylish. I could have a weakness for bias cut ball gowns. No there's something a gal can't have too many of! Perfect for weeding the rock garden and hitting the hardware store.

And I am really a sucker for neat metal details. So when I saw this grand little jacket, it was a no brainer. This one is mine, all mine. Now it's also incentive, because at the rate I am going , I will be able to wear it by fall. I have had to skip wearing all but 2 of my vintage jackets because... well we won't go there. But now - am I looking forward to shopping a lot in , oh July. And jackets are my favorite. Granted, this was a once a suit. Probably had a straight skirt with a kick pleat that I wouldn't be able to wear anyway. So as a Jacket Without Partner, it's just fine by me. And it was on sale.

I think this one is a great start for a new vintage wardrobe and a splendid choice for inspiration. It's in rose pink wool, has small shoulder pads and turn back cuffs. The trims are covered buttons with silver center and metal studs. I can see this with a T or a turtleneck for everyday and vintage blouse for dressy events. And of course, it will go with black.

1950s Jacket by Friedmont

Stud and button detail

2 comments:

Susan L (lily40au) said...

This is absolutely gorgeous ... I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat too. It's my favourite area as well.

Past Perfect Vintage Clothing said...

Thank you Susan! I can't wait for fall to come so I can wear it