Jan 2, 2010

Patterns of Fashion (Psychedelic Edition)

There's nothing like a cold, cold, winter's day to make me yearn for color and pattern. I came late to appreciating the wild patterns of the 60s and 70s. I lived them, I wore them, I suffered through the hideous polyester versions. I copied Peter Max posters with my colored pencils.

There was nothing classic or timeless about this type of pattern, so we frugal buyers tended to avoid them back in the day. You certainly couldn't change the look with accessories on these babies! If you wanted your earrings or shoes to even show up with a pattern of this boldness, they had be Huge. I mean, chandelier bobbles and neon platforms.

But now - I must be coming around. I think they are wearable art now and in the very best way. Hang one on a white wall while you aren't wearing it. The detail and design are really outstanding. And if you can live without a Pucci label, these dresses may even be affordable.

Dramatic 1970s Maurice Print Maxi Dress @ www.pastperfectvintage.com

1970s Printed Maurice Maxi Dress @ www.shrimptoncouture.com

1960's Pucci Esque Print Mini Dress @ www.poshgirlvintage.com

70's Paganne Deco Egyptian Print Dress @www.bluevelvetvintage.com
Paganne 1960s Psychedelic Jersey Dress @ www.morninggloriousvintage.com

1 comment:

denisebrain said...

I feel warmer just looking!

You make a good point about these being the anti-LBD, but who could resist letting one of these prints take over for a day here and there?