Jun 10, 2009

About Mr. Mort

I found this elegant little black dress one day in an unlikely spot. I also found a wool Thierry Mugler suit there, too. I won't tell where. Everything else was polyester. So you can imagine my delight when I actually felt good quality rayon tissue faille in my hands as I worked my way down the aisles. Then, I saw the metal zipper. Oh, good. Then the wrist zippers - another good. Then a label! Even better.


1950s LBD @ www.pastperfectvintage.com

Now who is Mr. Mort? According to the Vintage Fashion Guild, he was Mortimer Goldman. Now I all always happy to find out that the label is named for a real person, not a creation of the marketing department. I know, I am such a traditionalist. Stan Herman designed for the company in the late 50s and 60s. They have been described as "producing mid-priced but fashionable" garments. All I can say is that quality in mid priced dresses has gone down hill since the 1950s. If this were a 'mid priced' cocktail or party dress made today, it would be polyester with a nylon zip, cheap lace, machine sewn crap sleeve plackets, no bodice flatlining and about 1/2 the fullness on the skirt.

And that is one of the great things about vintage fashion. The quality. The labor. The idea that middle class women deserved value for the money.

4 comments:

SweetToothVintage said...

what a great find! the dress is beautiful.

featherhead said...

at a yard sale yesterday, i discovered hundreds of pieces of 50's earrings and necklaces.. a man was selling his 90 yr. old moms stuff..and she used to work for... mr Mort.! i recall the label from my old vintage shopping days in nyc... she helped dress the models. etc.. Love Mr. Mort's dresses!

Anonymous said...

No one seems to recall that the Marlo Thomas TV show THAT GIRL (1966-71) featured "fashions by Mr. Mort" !

Jim Craig said...

Was watching a Peter Gunn episode today from 1960. The credits said that Lola Albright's fashions were by Mr. Mort.