Dec 18, 2008

Inaugural Glamour Doesn't Get Better Than This

Ah. Serendipity. Look what I found while I was searching for something else.

I was searching for Inaugural dresses, prepping for a blog post on First Ladies' style and how it has held up. I will post that later.
And what did I see?



Babe Paley in 1953 at the Eisenhower Inaugural Ball. OMG. Is that a Charles James?? It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what color it was. It doesn't matter what the bottom of the dress looks like. It doesn't matter what year it was.
That IS Fabulous.
Try to top that, ladies of 2009.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Wow!!

Fabulous indeed! It will be interesting to see what
Michelle Obama wears.

Thanks for posting this Hollis!

Sue

laurakitty said...

Insane! I need that dress!

jmack said...

I am trying to decide what to wear for the Blue Diamond Inaugural Ball at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Past Perfect Vintage Clothing said...

First - lucky you. I am no expert, but I suggest full floor length, and have a good wrap and closed toe shoes because it's cold! And be sure these are shoes you can stand in for a long time. I don't think there will be a lot of chairs! And no cleavage. This a formal celebration, not the Oscars. It's also it's opportunity to wear a skirt with volume at the hem,not a slinky one. Other than that - have a good time shopping!