Jul 31, 2008

Rainy Days and Wednesdays

It was a rainy Wednesday here yesterday. Grey, humid and rainy.

Couldn’t weed the flower beds.
Couldn’t plant garden seeds.
Couldn’t take a walk.

So I chose to do a Vulcan mind meld with my alternate identity of Victorian Laundress and tackled washing and ironing this 1902 Wedding Dress. The washing wasn’t too bad. I hand washed it in a screen and laid it flat to dry. And being lace and batiste, it dried quickly. And it did come clean, I am happy to say.

It took 3 hours of ironing, steaming and starching. The bodice was bad enough with the small arms and pin tucks. But it was the skirt with 2 layers that made me appreciate the work maids and laundresses did to have their ladies looking perfect for summer wedding photos. The top skirt has hundreds of pin tucks, loads of lace insertion and a lace hem ruffle. Then the underskirt has with two more lace edged ruffles.

If Faultless Spray starch is a carcinogen, please don't tell me. Let me live on in blissfull ignorance.

ca. 1902 White Cotton Batiste & Lace Wedding Dress coming soon to http://www.pastperfectvintage.com/
ca 1902 Wedding Dress, back view
Marvelous sleeve engageante
Chevron pintucks and lace insertion a-go-go

1 comment:

fuzzylizzie said...

Three hours seems like a very long time until you see the results! Simply stunning, Hollis.