Jun 29, 2008

A Sharp Dressed Man

I have no idea why I like vintage menswear as much as I do. Maybe it‘s because I have done a little tailoring in my time and respect the workmanship. Maybe it‘s the wonderful period woolens that just don’t seem to be out there anymore. Maybe it’s the class of a sharp dressed man. And maybe that’s all the introspection I am up to today.

Now I do have a special place in my heart for a brilliant Hawaiian shirt or bold chain stitched bowling shirt. And those wide 1940s ties can be works of art. But they have plenty of aficionados.
It’s the tailored suits I have a soft spot for. Enjoy these few that have come my way over the years.
All the photos from the Past Perfect Vintage archives:

Ca 1918 Double Breasted 3 pc wool suit. This young man’s suit has loads of details with a belted Norfolk style back, bellows pockets, double breasted front and peaked lapel. The trousers have the new fangled belt loops of the era and a button fly.

Ca 1919 men’s olive wool suit, 3 pc. This is one of the more identifiable silhouettes of 20th C menswear. The high waist, full belt and full skirts are an indicator of the very late teens. And that lining! It’s neat to see men’s and women’s suits were both doing the high contrast, printed silk jacket lining at the same time. Trousers have flat front, waist buckles, button fly and watch pocket.



Another ca 1919 suit, this one a two piece summer suit in a unlined, washable tan linen/cotton blend. Note the high curved waist fit, ventless back and big curved patch pockets. Trousers are flat front with button fly, watch pocket and no cuffs.


1920s Golf Suit: The best. A white linen short sports jacket with plus fours. These may even be plus sixes. The number refers to the added inches below the knee that make the knickers blouson. The linen is a loose weave and drapes. I am informed by my trusty model this was surprisingly comfortable. The jacket is unlined and the plus fours have a buckle back waist, buckle knee bands and a button fly.

No comments: